Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Phone Paranoia

Last night, my wife got a weird text message from one of the guys she works with. I've noticed she texts him fairly often, but have not really worried about it. It said something like, "We should hurry up and get it over with." She looked at it strangely and said it must be a mistake, and deleted it. Fine. Weird, but fine. After this, she went up stairs to give one of our kids a bath. But then she comes running back down stairs to "get a Coke." Which I thought was weird for two reasons. First, she chastises me for leaving our kids in the bathtub unattended, and now she just did it. Second, she never drinks a Coke this late at night because she won't be able to get asleep. Then the real motivation was revealed: She grabbed her phone and quickly checked to make sure all the text messages were erased. Nice. I immediately thought that's the real reason she came down stairs: to check her phone. Not for a Coke. I think I confirmed this by the fact that about half an hour later, she had drank none of it. This was bugging me at this point, and we've promised not to keep our emotions bottled up, so I confronted her. Of course she said I'm just being crazy; and we laughed. However, I still really, really think I'm right.

I don't think she necessarily had something to hide. I think she has some paranoia too that I'm going through her phone, and some time I'll find something innocent, take it out of context, and blow up about it. Ironically, I didn't go through her phone after that crazy message. I sure as hell wanted to after she double checked it, but of course nothing would be there; so what's the point. I just wish she'd stop acting so crazy about her phone. I'm sure it was nothing, so why not just let it go!

No comments:

Post a Comment